The Byron R. Lewis Historical Collection Library is located on the Vincennes campus of Vincennes University. It is a comprehensive repository of historical documents, books and letters emphasizing the history of the former Indiana Territory, an area that once comprised the present states of Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois and a part of Minnesota.
Its mission falls into two broad categories:
Regional History Collection. The RHC is a comprehensive group of letters, documents and manuscripts dating from the 18th century with an emphasis on the settlement and development of the American Midwest. The collections are of a governmental, business and private nature. There are more than 645 individual collections covering more than 90 feet of archival space. Lewis Library contains collections of photographs, books, pamphlets, newspapers, art, artifacts and other historical materials.
University Archives. The library serves as the archives for Vincennes University, founded in 1801 as one of America's oldest institutions of higher learning. Archival collections include presidential papers, records, photographs, and various university publications.
In addition, the library maintains some genealogy materials (in both published and manuscript form) with an emphasis on Knox County and Southern Indiana.
For more information please call 812-888-4330 or email the Lewis Library Assistant at (email email@example.com).