Available on the Vincennes campus
Surgical Technology is an exciting and challenging allied health career. Surgical Technologists are critical members of the surgical team providing assistance to surgeons, anesthesiologists, nurses, and other surgical personnel to deliver patient care.
The demand for these professionals continues to grow. Employment opportunities are found in a variety of medical settings including trauma centers, physician offices, clinics, and hospitals.
Vincennes University offers a one year Certificate of Graduation and a two year Associate of Science Degree in Surgical Technology. Both programs are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs. Graduates are eligible to sit for the NBSTSA National Certification Exam to become a Certified Surgical Technologist (CST).
The class of 2016 had 13 graduates and a 100% pass rate on the NBSTSA National Certification Exam. The class of 2017 had 9 graduates with 8 of the 9 passing the Exam.
Graduates who wish to continue their education are eligible to apply for the Bachelor of Science Degree options at the University of Southern Indiana.
Admission to this program is highly competitive. Please click on the following links to learn more about the individual program requirements, required courses, and commonly asked questions.
Shannon Smith, CST, CSFA, M.H.Sc
Mrs. Smith views the classroom, lab, and clinical components as a way to challenge each student to use critical thinking skills. Classroom time is spent reviewing, discussing and applying information gained from classroom lecture, assignments, and student clinical experience.
Ms. Smith views the best part of being a Certified Surgical Technologist as being able to make an immediate impact in relation to the patient’s wellness.
EDUCATION AND LICENSURE/CERTIFICATIONS
M.H.Sc., Nova Southeastern University, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida - 2016
Higher Education Concentration
B.S., Health Sciences, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, Virginia - 2006
Minor in Management
Diploma, Surgical Technology, Athens Technical College, Athens, Georgia - 1989
- Program Chair, Surgical Services and Assistant Professor at Tallahassee Community College
- Assistant Program Coordinator of Surgical Services at Gulf Coast State College
- Board of Director, Florida State Assembly of the Association of Surgical Technologists, 2010-2012; 2014-2016.
- Board of Director, Association of Surgical Assistants 2013-2015; Re-elected 2015-2017.
- Appointed to Education and Professional Standards Committee for the Association of Surgical Assistants, 2011-2013
- Actively engaged with legislative efforts to pass bill, requiring certification for practicing surgical technologists and surgical assistants in the State of Florida, 2010-2015.
- Nominated for the Association of Community College Trustees Faculty Award for the Southeastern Region, 2014.
- Invited to serve on the item writing committee for the National Board of Surgical Technologists and Surgical Assistants (NBSTSA), 2015.
- Invited to serve on the Job Analysis Advisory Committee (JAAC)for the National Board of Surgical Technologists and Surgical Assistants (NBSTSA), 2017
- Certified Surgical First Assistant (CSFA), National Board of Surgical Technologists and Surgical Assistants (NBSTSA)
- Certified Surgical Technologist (CST), National Board of Surgical Technologists and Surgical Assistants (NBSTSA)