Blackboard Faculty Setup - Center for Teaching and Learning
What is Blackboard?
Blackboard is the Learning Management System (LMS) used by Vincennes University to deliver online courses and to enhance the learning experiences of on-campus students. With the Blackboard LMS, faculty may post online course documents, create online assessment exams, host discussion forums, and make files available to their students.
Instructors are responsible for requesting empty course shells through the Faculty Services of MyVU/Banner. Once this is done, they will copy content from a template or their old course into the new empty shell site. Use the directions and forms below to help guide you through this process:
Blackboard Course Setup:
- Login - Instructors can access Blackboard through their MyVU login. Click here for instructions
- Template - It is recommended that instructors request a template site for their course(s) so they will have the ability to update anytime and then use as source to copy content as explained in the directions below.
- Request Site - Each semester, use the following directions to request a new empty Blackboard shell site and student population for your course:
- Copying Content -Two week prior to the course start date, the empty shell will appear in your course list on Blackboard. Use the following directions to copy content from your template site or a previous Blackboard course into your new empty Blackboard shell site.
- If you do not have a previous site or template to copy from, you will need to import the basic course menu structure into your new empty site.
Additional Course Information
- Merging - Please DO NOT request course merges until your new empty shells appear on your Blackboard Course List (this will be 2 weeks before course start date). Use this form to merge and manage multiple sections (children) of the same course into one combined (parent) site. For example, if you teach 2 sections of MATH102, sections 023 and 024 and would like these combined into one site, you would complete the form below. This would alert us to merge your separate section sites into one combined site for you to manage.
Merge requests must be completed before any student work is submitted.
- Site Availability - Upon creation, your new empty shell site will be unavailable to students. Once you have created/copied content into your site and it is ready to open, you will need to make it available for students to access. Use the directions below to change the availability of your Blackboard site:
- Add Additional Users to Bb Site -
Additional Blackboard Request Forms (for Testing and/or other Non-Registered Users):