Faculty Resources


All members of the Vincennes University community share in the University's responsibility of accommodating students, faculty, staff and visitors with disabilities and should prepare for the possibility of being approached by individuals who have accommodation requests. This includes a variety of situations including in the classroom, during special events, and for participation in extracurricular activities. In anticipation of this occurrence, members of the University community are strongly encouraged to include a statement on their syllabi and/or on all event announcements directing students/participants to notify them of accommodation requests in a timely manner. This statement should include the name and other contact information for a specific person who will assist in making the arrangements for accommodations.


In order to comply with state and federal law concerning the use of captioned videos in academic course offerings, all faculty, staff, departments, and Colleges are asked to only purchase and use captioned videos for both classroom and online courses.  When faculty members receive a request for captioned videos as an accommodation for a disability, either from the Disability Services (DS) office or directly from a student, they may request assistance from the DS office for obtaining captioned videos, when captioned versions or captioned alternatives are not otherwise available. Once a request for a captioned video has been received by a faculty member, the video in question is required by law to be captioned or the video may not be shown in the class.  If that situation arises, please follow the procedures outlined on the Video Captioning Request form.


To best provide the most appropriate accommodations to students who request accommodations due to a disability in classroom situations, faculty members are encouraged to ask students to register in the DS office.  Please note, students with disabilities do not have automatic access to the services of DS, even if they received services under an Individual Education Plan (IEP) or other school plan in high school. Therefore, it is extremely important that students with disabilities be specifically referred for assistance to the DS office, which is located in the south lobby of Vigo Hall. Students will be asked to provide adequate evidence (documentation) of a disability, and staff will review all documentation to determine the academic accommodations that are both reasonable and appropriate for each student. Generally, IEP's and other school plans are not considered appropriate for documenting a disability at the college level.  Therefore, DS staff will assist students in obtaining more appropriate documentation for the provision of accommodations.


DS staff has developed a guide to assist faculty and staff in understanding the complexities of working with students with a variety of disabilities.  Faculty members are asked to thoroughly review the guide  Working with Students with Disabilities:  An Introduction for Faculty and Staff and to contact DS staff at 812-888-4501 with any questions or concerns.


Additionally, staff provides the following supportive and consultant services to faculty and staff to assist in working with students with disabilities. We:

  • endorse the most appropriate accommodations for students;
  • assist in identifying alternative or modified accommodations, when necessary;
  • arrange for sign language interpreters or captioning services;
  • obtain alternative format textbooks;
  • facilitate the purchase of adaptive equipment and assistive technology for University campus(es);
  • offer guidance and suggestions for working with behavioral issues;
  • assist in mediating disputes and disagreements;
  • assist in creating "universal design" classes to help eliminate the need for accommodations.


Registration in DS is not required for individuals with disabilities needing accommodations for special events or extracurricular activities. Please direct individuals with disabilities to the host office for each event or activity for accommodation assistance. Assistance with addressing employment accommodations may be obtained through the Vincennes University Human Resources office.