MARCH 11, 2020
As of today, Vincennes University has not been advised of any students, faculty, or staff who have been diagnosed with the coronavirus at any VU locations. Nevertheless, Vincennes University is continuing to follow the recommendations of the Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH) and Centers for Disease Control (CDC) with respect to the coronavirus.
At this time VU classes at all locations will remain in session. Residence halls and dining facilities will run on a normal schedule. We are assessing conditions at each of our locations on a daily basis and will provide regular updates on the evolving coronavirus situation as information becomes available at the VU coronavirus web page https://www.vinu.edu/coronavirus-updates. The page also contains tips and other helpful information for maintaining good health practices.
THE FOLLOWING IMMEDIATE ACTIONS HAVE BEEN TAKEN:
- For the next two weeks, through March 29, all large University-sponsored events and activities (50+ people) will be canceled. (NOTE: This does not yet include intercollegiate athletic events. VU will be following NJCAA guidance on those activities.) VU is coordinating with those facilitating these events and will determine if those events can be rescheduled for a later time or if they may be delivered in a manner that would allow for social distancing (e.g. via video conferencing, web streaming, etc.). Please look for updates to be posted on these and other events and activities on the VU coronavirus web page.
- All University-related out-of-state and international travel by students, faculty, and staff is suspended, through April 15. (NOTE: This does not yet include intercollegiate athletic events. VU will be following NJCAA guidance on those activities.) Please work with your supervisor to determine how to manage travel that has already been planned and to determine if travel after April 15 should be booked. VU’s leadership strongly discourages all individuals from traveling to areas affected by the coronavirus. Participation in large social gatherings is also discouraged.
- VU’s custodial team is conducting additional deep cleanings and disinfecting all residence halls, academic buildings and restrooms several times daily with hospital-grade disinfectant.
- Additional disinfecting wipes have been distributed to all main offices and residence hall front desks. The University has additional cleaning supplies, hand sanitizers and disinfectants on hand and ready to be deployed as needed.
- The University is taking steps to enhance the existing infrastructure to support increased demands for online learning and other activities should the need arise.
- A special COVID-19 subcommittee of the Emergency Planning Committee, is monitoring the situation and meeting daily to update information for both the University community and to advise the VU Executive Team on refined strategies and plans for communicating about virus prevention and execute appropriate responses.
We care about your safety and will keep you up to date on all information and advisories regarding the coronavirus. Please understand that this is a fluid situation and new information is coming forth daily. As this situation changes, we will respond to the recommendations of the CDC and Indiana State Department of Health accordingly and keep you informed.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON THE CORONAVIRUS:
Indiana State Department of Health: https://www.in.gov/isdh/28470.htm
Centers for Disease Control: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html