Associate of Science Career/Tech
About This Degree
Estimated Program Length
Contactjnettles@vinu.edu Course Catalog
Horticulture is the art and science of growing flowers, trees, fruits, vegetables, and other types of plants. Today, horticulture professionals are needed in all areas of horticulture including landscape design, construction, and maintenance. The placement of trees, shrubs, flowers, and especially well- manicured lawns is a high priority for businesses, recreation areas, college campuses, residential property owners, as well as local, state, and federal parks.
Vincennes University offers a two year program in Horticulture Technology that offers you a variety of options in this rapidly expanding profession. It prepares you in the occupation of landscape horticulture and production while exploring and emphasizing avenues of nursery and turf management, landscape design, construction, and maintenance. Not only will you study courses that directly relate to modern horticulture practices, but also valuable hands-on experience is gained throughout your course work. This allows you a better understanding and provides a practical learning experience in this exciting career.
Here are a few of the courses you can expect to take:
- Landscape Design
- Nursery and Garden Center Management
- Turf Management
- Herbaceous Landscape Plant Identification
- Woody Landscape Plant Identification
Leave Vincennes University with an Associate degree and professional accreditations that employers look for:
- Indiana Pesticide Applicator Core, Category 3a, and Category 3b
- Indiana Accredited Horticulturist
The field is wide open. You might choose to:
- own and operate a nursery or landscape business.
- work for a private business, either in contracting or sales.
- work for a large scale horticulture production business.
- work at a golf course or sports field.
- work for a public park, or botanical garden.
Recent graduates have received job offers exceeding $ 30,000 plus fringe benefits with a number starting their own businesses in the Green Industry.