Library Conduct Code - Shake Library in the LRC
Library Conduct Code
In order to better serve library users of the VU Shake Library and to make the library a pleasant and conducive place for study, we ask that library users be aware of the following:
- Enter staff areas only by invitation.
- Please do not engage in loud conversation or behavior that would disrupt the concentration of other library users. If your neighbors can hear you, you are being too loud. All public areas of the library are study areas. The second floor of the library is designated as Quiet Study Area.
- Any audible program may not be played at any sound level which is audible to any other person in the library. Inexpensive headphones are available for purchase at the Lending Services Desk.
- Cell phone and pager use in a library setting is disruptive to other users. Please turn your cell phone and pager ringers to vibrate. If you need to use your cell phone, please exit the library and use the front hallway.
- Food and Drink Policy
- Use of library facilities and resources compels library users to comply with all federal, Indiana and other applicable laws; all applicable Vincennes University rules and policies found in the University Manual and/or Vincennes University Standards of Student Behavior ; and all applicable contracts and licenses.
- All computer resources (hardware, software and electronic research resources) are provided for educational and research purposes.
- Disrupting computer connectivity is a form of computer abuse. This means do not unplug any cords to computers.
- Displaying, distributing, scanning, or printing pornographic or potentially offensive material may be in violation of federal and/or Indiana laws, or Vincennes University's anti-harassment policies. Examples of such laws include the laws pertaining to obscenity and child pornography. In the library's public computer areas, viewing sexually explicit materials is prohibited.
- Persons under the age of 16, unless enrolled in a VU class, must be accompanied by a parent, adult legal guardian or teacher when using a computer in the library and must be seated in the same computer cluster as the adult. The parent, adult legal guardian or teacher is responsible for monitoring the minor's online activity. Persons may be required to show a valid driver's license or other identification verifying their age.
- Footwear and shirts must be worn at all times.
- The library is not responsible for items left unattended.
- Only service animals are permitted in the library.
- Use of abusive, loud, obscene, profane language or gestures is prohibited.
- Abuse or misuse of library structure, furnishings, equipment or materials is prohibited.
- Community users are subject to the same rules and policies that apply to Vincennes University students and employees.
- Shake Learning Resources Center (the building where the library is housed) is tobacco free.
- Posting or distributing flyers and material that have not been pre-approved is prohibited.
- Library staff have the authority to ask groups and individuals to be quiet and correct their disruptive behavior, and also to comply with all applicable laws, rules and policies. Persons or groups will be asked to leave if they do not correct their own behavior after such warnings.
- Each individual is encouraged to follow these guidelines to promote a quiet and courteous atmosphere for all library users. Remember, use of the facilities and resources is a PRIVILEGE, NOT A RIGHT.
Library staff and Campus Police will enforce this library conduct code.