Federal Military Tuition Assistance
Payments, Not to Exceed:
$250 – Semester Credit Hour
$4,500 – Fiscal Year (Air Force, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, and Navy)
16 Semester Hours – Fiscal Year (Army)
Air Force Tuition Assistance
To apply for Air Force Tuition Assistance, please go to the Air Force Portal.
You will be unable to apply online for TA if the following applies to you:
- Missing grades over 60 days from course end date.
- Suspense dates that have expired.
- Missing personal data in the education record including: Phone, DOS, DOB, Unit, Office Symbol, Mailing Address, Email Address, base, and Education Level.
- Requesting TA for courses that start more than 30 days into the future.
- Requesting TA for courses that have already started.
- Requesting TA for lower level courses which are less than highest ed level awarded.
- No degree plan in records.
If you receive a grade of incomplete from a school, you have as much time as the school allows you to clear the incomplete or 12 months from the end of the term, whichever comes first, to clear the incomplete. If you fail to provide a grade that clears the incomplete by that time, we are obligated to recover the tuition assistance.
Army Tuition Assistance
Soldiers must request TA through GoArmyEd prior to the course start date or before the school’s late registration period.
- TA is requested on a course-by-course basis.
- GoArmyEd will notify the Soldier whether the TA is approved or not. If the TA request is notapproved, GoArmyEd will advise theSoldier of the reason and next steps.
- All drops/withdrawals must take place through GoArmyEd. Soldiers who receive an "E" grade will be required to repay TA. Soldiers who are unable to complete a course due to military duties must ensure that they withdraw from the course through GoArmyEd to ensure that they will not be charged.
- If the Soldier wishes to take a class with a school that does not participate in the electronic GoArmyEd course schedule, a TA Request form must be completed in GoArmyEd.
- The TA request will be routed to an Army Education Counselor/Reserve ESS to be reviewed and approved. Soldiers should allow extra time for this
Army policy is a student has 120 days to complete an incomplete before recoupment.
Coast Guard Tuition Assistance
The Coast Guard Institute approves the TA Application (CG-4147), inputs date into the Navy’s computer database, and issues the TA Authorization Form (CGI-1560).
- A will be authorized "up-front" for traditional college coursework for courses less than 18 weeks in length. Courses may be resident or remote.
- There is no limitation on the use of TA when a member is receiving "financial aid" such as a student loan, Sallie Mae, Stafford loan, etc.
- All courses must be taken from a nationally or regionally accredited institution, resulting in college credit or accredited clock or contact hours.
- Direct expenses for instruction such as laboratory, studio, and shop fees may be included in the computation of education expenses covered by the 100% limitation for off-duty education. Provided, these costs are based on specific fees or charges customarily levied by educational Institutions and are directly tied to the course for which the fee is required
Marine Corps Tuition Assistance
- First-time students must complete a TA Orientation Class PRIOR to using TA.
- Marines must apply for and receive written authorization for TA through the appropriate education office, PRIOR to enrollment. Use form NETPDTC 1560.
- TA for remote Marines and those assigned to other service sites is processed at Camp Lejeune for those east of the Mississippi and Camp Pendleton for those west of the Mississippi. I-I duty Marines apply through MARFORRES, New Orleans. Recruiters apply via their recruiting district or region headquarters.
- Once a Marine is enrolled with TA he or she must submit a degree plan before exceeding 12 semester hours.
- NETODTC 1560
Navy Tuition Assistance
TA is available to both Naval Officer and Enlisted active duty personnel and Naval Reservists on continuous active duty. It is also available to enlisted Naval Reservists ordered to active duty 120 days and to Naval Reservist Officers ordered to active duty for 2 years or more. To qualify, service members must:
- Be on active duty for the whole length of the course.
- Attend an institution accredited by a regional, national, or professional accrediting agency recognized by the Department of Education.
- Receive counseling from a Navy College Office
Students must provide all grades from previously funded TA courses and reimburse all W and E grades.
Withdrawals for involuntary reasons may be granted with command verification
Tuition Assistance Top-Up:
The amount of this benefit can be equal to the difference between the total cost of a college course and the amount of Tuition Assistance that is paid by the military for the course. To be eligible for the Top-up benefit, the person must be approved for federal Tuition Assistance by a military department and be eligible for MGIB-Active Duty benefits or the Post-9/11 GI Bill. More information regarding the tuition assistance top-up program may be found at on the VA Website here.