Stafford Loans - Financial Services
How to Accept Stafford Loans
The option to accept Stafford loans on your MyVU account for a new award year is not available until summer (usually June or July). An email will be sent to you when this option is available.
To apply for a federal direct Stafford loan, follow these directions:
- Log in to your MyVU account.
- Under "My Access", click on Financial Aid Status.
- Click on the Award link.
- Click Award for Aid Year.
- Select correct school year, for example, 2017 – 2018 from the drop-down box and click Submit.
- Click Accept Award Offer tab.
- Follow the directions given to you to accept the Federal Direct Stafford Loan(s) you want.
- Once you have accepted your loan(s), if you have not borrowed before, you will be instructed to E-sign your MPN (Master Promissory Note). You will also need to complete the Entrance Counseling.
- After you click on the E-sign your MPN link, you will be redirected to the StudentLoans.gov website.
- Sign into the StudentLoans.gov website using your FSA ID username & password.
- Click on Entrance Counseling link and complete entrance counseling. Allow about 30 minutes to complete. There are 4 steps to this process - - Counseling Type, Guidelines, School Info, and Counseling Session/Quiz. NOTE: You must review the Borrower’s Rights and Responsibilities – click on the link to access.
- Click on Sign Master Promissory Note (MPN) to complete and E-sign your MPN. There are 4 steps to complete this process - - Personal Information (Requires driver’s license number, address, phone, email address, and school info and state), Personal References (two required), Terms and Conditions (must check all conditions and then check the box showing you have read all the conditions), and Review and Sign (must view the HTML version before you can complete this step).