American Sign Language and Deaf Studies (CPC)
Certificate of Program Completion
About This Degree
Estimated Program Length
15 - 18 Credit Hours
Indianapolis: American Sign Language
Contacttdominguez@vinu.edu University Catalog
This certificate provides individuals a venue to take a series of required core courses in American Sign Language (ASL) & Deaf Studies in order to receive a Certificate of Program Completion. It is ideal for those in civil service, medical, and educational professions who are in need of additional training working with Deaf people in the community or want to enhance their employ-ability.
The series of course are:
ASLG 101 – ASL I (4 credit hours)
ASLG 111 – Deaf Culture and Community (3 credit hours)
ASLG103 – ASL II (4 credit hours)
ASLG 206 – ASL Features I (3 credit hours)
Electives in Program Area (pick one)
- ASLG 216 - Service Learning in the Deaf Community (1 credit hour)
- ASLG 217 – Fingerspelling and Numbers in ASL (3 credit hours)
For specific professional departments, these courses can be taken as a group with a minimum of 8 and a maximum of 12 students. Groups take one course a semester or more depending on their department’s timelines. Courses can be offered at your location.
For individuals completing this on their own time, courses can be taken at their own pace. Courses are offered at the VU ASL & Deaf Studies program building. Recommended but not required:
- ASL I (online or in class)
- Deaf Culture and Community
- ASL II (online or in class)
- ASL Features
- ASLG Elective
Questions can be directed to: Tami Dominguez, email@example.com or phone
1. Apply to Vincennes University as a Part-Time, non-degree seeking student. www.vinu.edu.
2. Must take MATH 008 and ENGL 008 OR submit official test scores for the SAT, ACT, or the Accuplacer which shows college readiness in Math and English, OR submit an official College transcript showing the completion of MATH 102 and ENGL 101.