Biology, Cellular Biology and Genetics (AS)
Associate of Science Transfer
Indiana Workforce Needs
As Indiana companies produce more sophisticated products, and face stricter government regulations, they face a growing need for workers with higher level skills. Positions once filled by high school graduates now require workers with A.S. or B.S. degrees. Vincennes University offers an A.S. degree in biotechnology. This degree will transfer to any four-year university with a B.S. in Biotechnology. As a VU graduate you will have the choice of entering the workforce, where jobs are plentiful, or transferring to a four-year institution. In addition, you will save thousands of dollars in tuition by completing your first two years at VU. Click here for more information on becoming a molecular biologist.
About This Degree
Molecular and Laboratory biologists use materials such as stem cells and DNA to create medical products that benefit society as a whole. It’s a science that is also used to alter the genetic information of plants and animals to improve the quality or quantity of our food.
Future Indiana biotechnologists will serve in many capacities, making our world a better place in which to live.
- Pharmaceutical technicians will help develop cures for serious illnesses like aids and cancer. They will also work on quality of life products that address the needs of an aging population.
- Production technicians will help maintain quality standards of current drugs, keeping us safe from accidents and terrorists.
- Environmental technicians will help regulate waste products, monitor compliance with environmental regulations, and help clean up contaminated sites throughout our neighborhoods.
- Agriculture technicians will work to balance greater agricultural output with protection of natural resources
- Food science technicians will help develop healthy, safe alternatives to high fat, high carbohydrate foods
- Forensic scientists collect and analyze DNA and other crime scene evidence to assist law enforcement officials in solving cases.