Drop Appeals - Dean of Students' Office
Drops for Attendance and Procedures for Student Appeals
Students who miss class hours totaling twice the number of credit hours awarded for the course, or the equivalent of two weeks of class instruction, are eligible to be dropped from class. The faculty member may initiate the withdrawal by filling out a Drop for Non-Attendance form. The Dean of Students notifies students when they have been dropped from class and their right to appeal. Only the student may appeal such a drop for non-attendance, and the student has two possible avenues for appeal.
- The student may appeal directly to the faculty person for readmission to the course and must provide evidence of extenuating circumstances that caused the absences. The faculty person has the option to readmit the student without a formal appeal hearing.
- The student may appeal the drop for attendance at the Dean of Students’ office by completing the Online Drop Petition Appeal form. The Dean of Students will then convene a hearing for the appeal at which readmission will be granted or denied. If there is extenuating information/evidence unknown to the faculty person or Dean of Students, the student is responsible to provide that information/evidence. The hearing is conducted by the Dean or Associate Dean of Students and is attended by the student, the faculty person involved, and the faculty person’s Dean or a representative of that Dean.
If a student contacts the faculty member and is reinstated through this conversation the faculty member will:
- Contact the Dean of Students office by email to confirm the reinstatement and provide the student’s name, student ID number, class and course number
- The Dean of Students office will in turn forward the information on to the Records office to have the student’s class reinstated on their schedule
If the faculty member will not reinstate the student he/she may:
- Submit the Online Drop Appeal Petition form within five business days of the date on the drop letter
- An appeal review will be conducted by the Associate Dean of Students and two designates
- If approved, a reinstatement hearing will be set and will include; the Dean of Students, the student, the faculty person involved, and the faculty person’s Dean or a representative of that Dean (special care will be taken to schedule this around the student’s class schedule).
- The student will be informed immediately of the hearing outcome
If, after the hearing, the reinstatement is granted:
The Records office will be notified with a request to reinstate the student with the following information; provide the student’s name, student ID number, along with class and course number. Also, the Drop Appeal Petition form will be sent to the Records office for placement in the student file and a copy filed in the Student Center.
If, after the hearing, the reinstatement is denied:
The drop will stand and the Drop Petition Appeal form will be sent to the Records office for placement in the student file and a copy filed in the Student Center.