Special & Unusual Circumstances - Financial Services
Special & Unusual Circumstances Intro
What is a Special Circumstance?
There are two types of special circumstances. One occurs when a student or the student’s parent(s) experience a change in their financial situation. This can be due to such events as a job loss, the death of a spouse or parent, or divorce after filing the FAFSA. When a student or parent experiences financial changes, they may complete a Special Circumstance Request form and provide supporting documentation. These will be reviewed by a financial aid administrator who will determine if adjusting data elements in the student’s expected family contribution can be approved.
Another type of special circumstance involves unusual expenses a student may have such as dependent care expenses or purchase of a computer. For this type of request, the student would submit a letter of explanation as well as supporting documentation. These will be reviewed by a financial aid administrator to determine if an adjustment to the student’s cost of attendance can be approved.
What is an Unusual Circumstance?
An unusual circumstance occurs when a dependent student experiences a unique situation that directly impacts his or her dependency status. This can be a situation such as refugee or asylee status, parental abandonment, or parental incarceration. When unusual circumstances cause a break in the normal parent/child relationship, a student may complete a Dependency Change Request form to change their dependency status from dependent to independent. A financial aid administrator will review the conditions and determine if a change in dependency status can be approved.
FAFSA Related Forms
2022 - 2023 Forms
- 2022-2023 Dependency Change Request
- 2022-2023 Independent Status Through Extra FAFSA Questions
- 2022-2023 Unusual Enrollment History Form
- 2022-2023 Parent Disavowal of Support
2023 - 2024 Forms
- 2023-2024 Dependency Change Request
- 2023-2024 Independent Status Through Extra FAFSA Questions
- 2023-2024 Unusual Enrollment History Form
- 2023-2024 Special Circumstances Request for a Dependent Student
- 2023-2024 Special Circumstances Request for an Independent Student
- 2023-2024 Parent Disavowal of Support