Health Information Management, A.S. Career/Tech
Associate of Science Career/Tech
About This Degree
Estimated Program Length
What is Health Information Management (HIM)
- The health information management (HIM) field places you right where the expanding arena of healthcare meets the cutting edge of technology.
- HIM professionals are the experts on patient data that doctors, nurses, and other providers rely on to perform their jobs.
- This field of study is sometimes referred to as medical records, but as you can see, the opportunities are far greater! With new healthcare initiatives, hospitals, doctors, and other healthcare facilities need professionals that can understand electronic health information networks and exchanges.
- HIM professionals code, digitize and create electronic patient records while improving electronic data integrity. Some professionals manage the entire process, check for accuracy and secure the information as required by law.
- Experienced faculty dedicated to your success
- The program has been accredited for more than 30 years
- Graduates are qualified and eligible to take the national certification exam to become an RHIT
- Curriculum that prepares you for employment and education advancement
- Scholarships available (Foundation Office/application)
- At VU, you will receive classroom knowledge and hands-on experience in all areas of the HIM field
- Available online and on campus.
- Applicants must apply to Vincennes University. On campus, applicants will need to complete a secondary application. Information on the secondary application will be sent with your acceptance information for the University.
- Distance Education applicants should visit http://www.vinu.edu/distance for application information
- Criminal History Policy
- Visit the Bureau of Labor Statistics to learn more about where RHITs work, median annual salaries, and job outlook.
- The program has a high satisfaction rate among graduates. The results of our Outcome Assessments as reported in the Annual Program Assessment Report (APAR) include:
- Graduate satisfaction: 100%
- Employer satisfaction: 100%
- Graduate Placement: Above CAHIIM requirement of 80%
- Certification Outcomes: Above National Mean Pass Rate of 76%
The HIM Program at Vincennes University is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM). Click here for the CAHIIM website.
For additional information on the Health Information Management profession, including salary information, please visit http://www.ahima.org/