Sexual Assault, Sexual Harassment, Stalking and Other Policies
Vincennes University is committed to maintaining an environment free from all exploitation and intimidation based on sex. The University will not tolerate sexual assault or sexual harassment in any form. Vincennes University pursues a variety of initiatives designed to combat incidents of rape, sexual assault, or other forms of non-consensual sexual activity. Non-consensual sexual activity shall include, but not be limited to, situations in which the victim is unable to consent because he or she is physically helpless, mentally incapacitated due to drug or alcohol consumption, or unconscious, regardless of whether the consumption was with the victim’s consent.
View Other Policies
Prevention and Awareness
A variety of University offices provide educational programming and information designed to increase awareness and prevention of sexual offenses.
If You or a Friend Are the Victim of a Sexual Assault
1. Get to a safe place and contact the Vincennes University Police immediately at 812-888-5555 from any phone, or 5555 from an on-campus phone. If the assault occurred off-campus, call 911 immediately.
Upon reporting the incident, the VU Police Department or appropriate law enforcement agency can assist the victim in obtaining medical and counseling services. Although reporting to the appropriate law enforcement agency is recommended, victims may also confidentially report sexual assaults to the Counseling Center at 812- 888- 4374 or seek assistance from other members of the University community.
2. Preserve physical evidence, such as clothing, sheets, and beverages (for date rape drug testing). Do not bathe or shower.
3. Seek medical attention. For evidence collection purposes and for emergency contraception seek medical attention within 72 hours of the assault. The Good Samaritan Hospital Emergency Room provides medical assistance, emergency contraception, HIV testing, and treatment for STDs, and can perform sexual assault evidence collection for prosecution purposes. The Counseling Center can also assist victims in applying for victim’s compensation to cover the costs of treatment and counseling.
4. Contact counseling services and/or victims assistance agencies:
- Vincennes University Counseling Center (812) 888-4374
- Hope’s Voice (victim assistance program) (812) 899-4673
- Samaritan Center (local mental health center) (812) 886-6800
- IN Coalition Against Sexual Assault 1-800-691-CASA (2272)
- Title IX University Coordinator, Regina McCord-Fithian: Phone: 812-888-6947 or E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Victims of alleged sexual assault may seek to have their academic and living situations changed if such changes are reasonably available. Class schedule changes may be requested by contacting the Dean of Students, Beckes Student Union 2nd floor or at (812) 888-4301. Living arrangement changes may be requested by contacting the Housing Office, in Clark Hall or at (812) 888-4225.
Whatever avenue the victim decides to follow for filing a complaint, it is important to follow these steps in order to ensure the possibility of criminal prosecution and/or University student judicial finding.
On Campus Disciplinary Proceedings
Judicial Affairs within the Dean of Students Office handles all on campus disciplinary proceedings for sexual assault complaints. Both the complainant and the accused student in any non-consensual sexual activity case are entitled to the following rights:
- To be assisted by a procedural advisor during a disciplinary hearing and
- To be informed of the outcome of any disciplinary proceedings conducted within the judicial system
For more information concerning these procedures, contact the Dean of Students Office, Beckes Student Union Room 201, or call (812) 888-4301. Students may also refer to the Standards of Student Behavior within the University Catalog.
Sanctions for violations of University policies regarding sexual assault may include:
- Relocation or loss of campus housing privileges
- Reassignment of academic courses to avoid contact with the complainant and
- Status sanction, including disciplinary probation, suspension, or expulsion
Sex Offender Directory
Indiana State law requires that all convicted sex offenders register with the county Sheriff in their county of residence. A list of registered sex offenders in Indiana is available from the Indiana Sheriffs’ Sex and Violent Offender Registry, which can be found at http://www.icrimewatch.net/indiana.php.
Sexual Harassment Policy
Vincennes University is committed to creating and maintaining a positive learning and working environment for its students and employees and will not tolerate sexual harassment. Vincennes University is committed to preventing sexual harassment and to promptly addressing any violations of the policy.
Sexual harassment is prohibited because it is demeaning and degrading and a form of prohibited discrimination on the basis of sex. It is an affront to an individual’s dignity, sense of self, and self-esteem. As such it can have a negative impact on performance at work or in an academic setting. Sexually harassing behaviors are prohibited by the University and will not be tolerated.
Sexual harassment is illegal as a violation of several state and federal laws including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972. As a recipient of federal funds, VU must comply with these statutes. Sexual harassment is also prohibited in the Equal opportunity and Affirmative Action Policy adopted by the VU Board of Trustees.
This policy applies to all persons at the University or attending University sponsored classes, events and programs. Visitors to the campus and workers employed by private firms engaged in business on the campus are expected to comply with this policy. The Office of Diversity and Affirmative Action is charged with distributing this policy to the University community and providing educational opportunities appropriate to faculty, staff, and students.
- Sexual Assault and Sexual Harassment Policy (View Online & Print)