The mission of Experience VU is to increase retention, graduation, and/or transfer to a four-year institution through person-centered planning approaches that enhance academic, financial, personal, and social development for students with disabilities or students with disabilities and low income.
Experience VU will help students and families enjoy a successful college experience by providing the support needed to understand and navigate life at Vincennes University. By establishing a rapport with students, providing services that clarify college processes, promoting personal and social responsibility, and assisting in the development of self-advocating skills, Experience VU will foster the student’s ability to make responsible personal choices and develop their sense of personal responsibility toward other students, the institution, and the community they live.
Experience VU Services
- Planned orientation activities that facilitates a smooth college transition
- Integrated, on–campus residence hall living (i.e., learning community)
- One on one meetings with the Experience VU team
- Weekly cohort group activities
- Facilitated Learning Groups that provide additional UDL support
- Computer Labs with open tutoring and assistive technology
- A study-friendly and sensory-free lounge
- Career assistance with job shadowing and internship opportunities
- Co-curricular transcripts
- FAFSA and scholarship assistance
- Transfer assistance to a four-year institution
- Early warning system and grade monitoring
- Accredited college experience with quality faculty and staff
- Facilitate accommodations as approved by VU Office of Disability Services*
* Fill out the Testing Accommodations Form
The program offers workshops to all program participants on a variety of topics such as study skills and executive function skills (e.g., time management, note taking, test taking, organization), stress management, financial literacy, self-advocacy, social skills, cover letters and resumes, and interview skills.
Experience VU is designed to support students with disabilities and students with disabilities with low income. Applying students are accepted on the basis of:
- potential success and need assessment,
- personal statement paper, and
- available space.
Since this program is funded through a federal grant, no additional cost will be charged to the student. Early application to the program is encouraged as enrollment is limited.
You may apply online by downloading and completing this form and sending it to ExperienceVU@vinu.edu or by printing the form, completing it, and sending it to:
Experience VU, Vincennes University
Davis Hall, Room 422
1002 N. First Street
Vincennes, IN 47591
Applications are also available at the Experience VU Office on campus.
How to Find Us
Experience VU Student Support Services is housed on the 4th floor in Davis Hall. Contact us by email at ExperienceVU@vinu.edu or by calling 812-888-4061.
Jane Carie - Math Tutor
Linda Ryan-Catt - English/Writing Tutor