Funeral Service Education (ASCT)
Associate of Science Career/Tech
About This Degree
Estimated Program Length
Are you ready for a career that helps others and lets you work with members of your community? Do you have a strong interest in biological science and business? If so, the Funeral Service Education Program at Vincennes University has what you are looking for!
This major offers flexible options, such as courses available online and on campus. There is also affordable tuition. Vincennes University continues to offer the lowest tuition of any residential college in Indiana. Click here to find out more about Tuition, Fees and General Expenses. Financial Aid and scholarships are available to those that qualify. Visit the website for more information: http://vinu.edu/web/financial-services/welcome. With successful completion of the A.S. Program allows students to transfer to a baccalaureate institution.
Beyond the Classroom
In addition to the lecture, students will gain hands-on experience during embalming courses. Students will work with licensed embalmers to gain the skills needed for a rewarding career in Funeral Services. Students can also learn about the methods and techniques used to restore facial features in FNRL 120 Restorative Arts. *Distance Education students will be required to travel to Indiana during their final semester in the program to complete an embalming certification with the program chair.
Our Funeral Service Education Program has been turning out high quality licensed Funeral Directors and Embalmers since 1975. We are the premier choice in Funeral Service Education with a long-standing track record of success and American Board of Funeral Service Education accreditation.
The Funeral Service Education degree programs at Vincennes University are accredited by the American Board of Funeral Service Education (ABFSE), 992 Mantua Pike, Suite 108, Woodbury Heights, NJ 08097 (816) 233-3747. Web: www.abfse.org. For full accreditation information, click here
National Board Examination scores, graduation rates, and employment rates for this and other ABFSE-accredited programs are available at http://www.abfse.org/index.html. To request a printed copy of this program's scores and rates, go to the Funeral Service Education Program office, located in the Center for Health Sciences building, Room 215, or by email at email@example.com, or by telephone at 812-888-5469.
Additional information, including medial annual wages information, can be found at the Bureau of Labor Statistics at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/personal-care-and-service/funeral-service-occupations.htm
Indiana State Standards: http://www.in.gov/pla/funeral.htm
National Standards: http://www.nfda.org/careers/licensing-requirements
***Please use the above link to check your individual state requirements for individual licensure as each state has differing requirements for obtaining a professional license as a funeral director/embalmer***
Upon completion of an accredited program, students will be able to:
- Explain the importance of funeral service professionals in developing relationships with the families and communities they serve.
- Identify standards of ethical conduct in funeral service practice.
- Interpret how federal, state, and local laws apply to funeral service in order to ensure compliance.
- Apply principles of public health and safety in the handling and preparation of human remains.
- Demonstrate technical skills in embalming and restorative art that are necessary for the preparation and handling of human remains.
- Demonstrate skills required for conducting arrangement conferences, visitations, services, and ceremonies.
- Describe the requirements and procedures for burial, cremation, and other accepted forms of final disposition of human remains.
- Describe methods to address the grief-related needs of the bereaved.
- Explain management skills associated with operating a funeral establishment.
- Demonstrate verbal and written communication skills and research skills needed for funeral service practice.
PROGRAM INFORMATION - Vincennes
|Year||Total Enrolled||# of New Students||# of Grads||Timely Grad*||Graduation rate||Did not Finish**||Overall % Employed||Employed in FS|
*Timely graduation = complete program in 1½ times designated program length.
**Left before completing the program; did not finish.
NATIONAL BOARD STATISTICS - Vincennes
|3 Year Average||% Pass Arts||% Pass Sciences|
|2019 - 2021||76%||70%|
|2018 - 2020||81%||69%|
|2017 - 2019||71%||60%|
|2016 - 2018||79%||65%|
|2015 - 2017||60%||56%|
|Most Recent||# Takers||# Passed|