TASC (Test Assessing Secondary Skills)
Prepare for the Exam
To help you properly prepare for the exam, you should contact the Adult Basic Education office in your area so that you can take some of the classes to help you get ready. The ABE offices also have a practice test available to you. It's only about half as long as the official exam, and it doesn't cost anything to take. It's a great way to make sure you're ready!
The services that your ABE office provides don't cost anything, however, you must enroll in their program to take advantage of those services. But that's a simple process of calling the appropriate office and talking to one of the ABE counselors. They'll be glad to help you start studying and preparing to take the TASC test.
Adult Basic Education Agencies (ABE) and test Preparation Agencies
- IWD Lawrence Co. 812-279-4400
- N. Lawrence Comm. School Corp. 812-279-3561
GED on TV
Read the following information carefully and completely.
- Important! "No shows" for the test will forfeit their test fee. If there is a problem in making your TEST appointment time, you MUST call IN ADVANCE of your test day, or risk losing your test fee.
- Eligibility: All Examinees must have resided in Indiana for at least 30 days immediately prior to testing.
- 17 years of age MUST supply: 1.) A document signed by a public school superintendent (not a school administrator, principal, secretary or designee), authorizing the 17 year old student to take the official TASC examination. This document must be presented at the time of registration.
- Identification: Examinees MUST show valid driver's license, valid passports, military IDs, or other forms of government-issued (national or foreign) identification that show name, address, date of birth, signature, and photograph are all acceptable forms of identification for this purpose. If the form of identification used does not establish Indiana residency, then a second form of identity establishing Indiana residency for a minimum of thirty (30) days must be shown. This second form may be a utility bill, rental agreement, or other similar form.
- Registration: Examinees MUST pre-register, pay their fee, and make an appointment to test, IN PERSON! Identification will be checked at registration on test day. no walk-ins will be tested. You should register at least one week in advance. Pre-registration generally takes about 30-45 minutes.
- Test Fee : $70.00, payable upon pre-registration at the VU Bursars office. Payment may be made by cash, check, debit, or credit card, or present Agency voucher. Retests are $15.00 each.
- Time: The TASC test is administered on Wednesday and Thursday mornings. You will take half the test on Wednesday, and then finish the second half on Thursday. All five tests must be completed within 60 days. Examinees must call the Center if they are unable to meet a scheduled appointment so rescheduling can be arranged within this time limit. If the examinee does not advise the Center of the need to miss a scheduled appointment, their tests will be returned to our file to be made available to other examinees.
- On Test Days: You may not bring any study materials, cell phones, pagers, notes, books, backpacks, or aids of any kind into the testing room unless authorized for use during the test.
Day 1 - Test starts at 9:00 a.m. SHARP! If you are late, you lose both appointment days.
- Writing Skills with Essay - 115 minutes
- Mathematics Part 1 with calculator - 115 minutes total
- Mathematics Part 2 without calculator -
Day 2 - Test starts at 9:00 a.m. SHARP!
- Science - 95 minutes
- Social Studies - 85 minutes
- Reading - 85 minutes
Examinees will be started as a group. You must be on time. If you arrive late, you will not be allowed to test and must reschedule at the end of the line. Make your time arrangements accordingly. Please note our office telephones are not available during or after testing.
It takes a standard score of 500 on each of the 5 subjects to pass the TASC and receive a certificate of completion.
Retesting may only begin after completion of the official exam. No more than three test sessions may occur within a calendar year. Each retest must be on a different form of the test. An applicant need only retake those subtests which need to be passed. One or all five of the tests may be taken within the 35 day retesting period.
Obtaining G.E.D. or Indiana TASC Score Transcripts:
If you need a copy of your TASC or G.E.D. test score results, or need to send your transcript to a college, university, employer, military, or other entity, you must order your transcript through the Diplomasender website. You will create an account with Diplomasender (username, password, etc) and then order your transcripts and designate the recipient.
Please note we cannot acknowledge candidates, give transcript information or any kind of result information over the telephone.
Test score results may take 3 - 4 weeks to process. Your official results are sent directly to you by diplomasender.com. VU offices will not be able to give official score reports. All official score reports must be ordered from diplomasender.com. Transcripts are $15.00 each and verification letters are $5.00 each.
All public inquiry needs to be directed either to Diploma Sender or to the Department of Workforce Development's Adult Education hotline or website. The phone number is 1-866-220-6675. The website is http://www.in.gov/dwd/adulted.htm