Transferring from VU

Transferring from one school to another means that you are changes schools. This can take place in the middle of a degree program or between degrees. If you are planning to leave VU to study at a different institution in the U.S., you will need to transfer your SEVIS record. This allows you to keep your unique SEVIS ID number which is critical for maintaining your legal status in the U.S.   

How to Transfer Your SEVIS Record: 

  1. Apply to the schools of your choice
  2. When you have made a decision, submit the Transfer Out Form along with a copy of the admissions offer letter from your new school including a start date. The “transfer out” date is the date VU will no longer have access to your SEVIS record, so request a transfer only after your plans are certain.
  3. You will receive an email confirmation of your SEVIS release. If you are enrolled in current or future courses as VU, don’t forget to withdraw and fulfil any financial obligations to the university before you transfer or leave the U.S.
  4. Contact your new school to arrange when and how to receive your new I-20.

SEVIS Transfer Guidelines: 

  • You are currently attending VU, have not completed a degree program, and wish to transfer your SEVIS record to another institution.
    • Request and receive your SEVIS transfer before the start of the next academic term (fall or spring). 
  • You have completed a program at VU and will begin a new program at a different institution. 
    • You must request your transfer and your SEVIS record must be released within 60 days following the completion of your VU program. You must also start your new program within five months of completing your VU program.
  • You have completed a program at IU, and are currently outside the United States, but plan to re-enter to attend another institution. 
    • You can be outside the U.S. for no more than five months without being registered in course work in the U.S. to be eligible for a transfer. 
    • If you plan to be outside the U.S. for more than five months and do not intend to register for U.S. based course work during that time, you will not be eligible for a SEVIS transfer. Your new institution will need to create a new I-20 with a new SEVIS ID for your re-entry, you will be required to pay the SEVIS fee again, and you will have to apply for a new F-1 visa.  
  • You have completed a program at VU and are currently pursuing OPT in the U.S., but will start a new degree program at a different institution. 
    • Your OPT will end on the date your SEVIS record is released to your new school. OPT in not transferable. If you want to transfer your SEVIS record after your OPT ends, you will need to have your SEVIS record released within 60 days following the completion of your OPT. 

Things to Know about Transferring Your SEVIS Record

A SEVIS transfer only applies to your immigration documentation. Academic records are not included in this process. 

The "transfer out" date will be the day you complete your program, the final day of the last semester that you are enrolled at VU, or a different date that you request, whichever is later. 

If you decide to cancel your transfer request, you must notify us in writing before your transfer out date. After that date, VU will no longer have access to your SEVIS record. 

After Your SEVIS Transfer is Complete

If you are planning to travel outside the U.S. after your record has been transferred, but before beginning the program at your new school, you must re-enter the U.S. with your new school's I-20. 

You must report to your new school within 15 days of the start date on your new I-20. 



Ready to Begin?