Pre-Dental Hygiene (AS)
Associate of Science Transfer
About This Degree
Estimated Program Length
Contactafang@vinu.edu Course Catalog
Dental Hygienists work directly with patients, cleaning teeth, examining for oral diseases, and provide preventative dental care. They also play an important role educating patients on maintaining and improving good oral health.
Employment of dental hygienists is expected to grow by 38 percent from 2010 to 2020, much faster than the average for all occupations. As their practices expand, dentists will hire more hygienists to perform routine dental care, allowing the dentist to see more patients. Also, as the large baby boomer population ages and people keep more of their original teeth than previous generations, the need to maintain and treat these teeth will continue to drive the need for hygienists’ services.
This program will allow students to have the first two years completed prior to applying to a dental hygiene program, such as the ones at University of Southern Indiana in Evansville, and at Indiana University at the Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, Gary, and South Bend campuses. For more information on a career as a Dental Hygienist, click here.
The VU Advantage
- Small classes, usually fewer than thirty-five
- Total emphasis on teaching, not research
- A modern science/mathematics complex with excellent lab facilities
- Mathematics and study centers for free tutoring when needed
- Qualified professors who are available and willing to assist you in your studies
- Use of equipment normally reserved for juniors and seniors